It is no secret that keeping weight off is a challenge for many people. The National Weight Control Registry (NWCR) has identified strategies to help people keep it off long-term. This article will discuss secrets to keeping weight off through lifestyle habits for successful weight loss maintenance.
What is the National Weight Control Registry?
The National Weight Control Registry (NWCR) is the largest investigation of long-term successful weight loss maintenance. It identifies and investigates the characteristics of individuals who have succeeded at long-term weight loss. Participants share success stories to help encourage others in their weight loss journey.
NWCR tracks over 10,000 people who have lost significant amounts of weight and managed to keep it off for long periods. Participants fill out detailed questionnaires and annual follow-up surveys to examine the psychological and behavioral characteristics of those who maintain their weight loss. By studying the behaviors of thousands of successful individuals, the NWCR has identified patterns in successful weight loss maintenance.
Most participants report eating a low-calorie, low-fat diet and doing high levels of physical activity. Ninety-eight percent of registry participants have modified their diet, while 94% have increased their physical activity.
Here are examples of how NWCR members keep weight off:
- 78% eat breakfast every day
- 75% weigh themselves at least once a week
- 62% watch less than 10 hours of TV per week
- 90% exercise, on average, about 1 hour per day
6 Ways to Keep Weight Off
Losing weight is challenging, but keeping it off can be even more difficult. Maintaining weight loss requires making sustainable lifestyle changes. Here are 6 secrets to help keep the weight off for good:
- Stay accountable: Find a friend, family member, or support group to keep you motivated and accountable. Being able to share your struggles and progress with others can be helpful and effective in losing weight.
- Keep eating patterns consistent: Pay attention to portion sizes and avoid overeating. Use a food scale or measuring cup to monitor your portions. Try not to skip meals, as that can lead to overeating later in the day. Avoid processed foods that are high in sugar and unhealthy fats to help you maintain your weight loss. Instead, aim to eat whole foods such as fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins.
- Drink lots of water: Drinking water can keep you hydrated and help you feel full. Try to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.
- Stay active: Being physically active is essential to maintaining weight loss. Try to exercise for at least 30 minutes a day. Participants in NWCR typically exercise for 1 hour most days of the week. Finding an activity that you enjoy will help you stay motivated.
- Monitor your weight: Check your weight regularly. Adjust your eating and exercise habits if you find the scale starting to creep up.
- Sleep more: Getting adequate sleep helps you stay motivated and keeps your hormone levels balanced to maintain a healthy weight.
The secret to keeping weight off isn’t so secret! Consistency is vital to a healthy lifestyle and maintaining weight loss. Keeping a food log and tracking exercises can help you stay accountable. Healthy eating habits, physical activity, and focusing on a sustainable lifestyle will help you achieve long-term weight loss success.
© 2023 WellDoc, Inc.